Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Painted Girls

So I've been part of a book club for years, but it's the worst book club ever. People gave up on reading books and instead, just drink wine and talk about the Real Housewives. So I've joined a new club.

Oh, I'll still drink wine, but I'd like to read and talk about it, too.

My new book club is still a pseudo-club. We have a little facebook group, share titles, and share responses. The first book we collectively decided to read was The Painted Girls, by Cathy Marie Buchanan.


This book is about three young girls who are struggling to survive in the 1800s in France. The two younger sisters join the Paris Opera Ballet as ballet students, where the painter Degas observes them to use as models. It's basically the fictional backstory for this piece, among others:


You can visit Wikipedia to read more about the statuette.

I very much enjoyed this book. It was written in an interesting time, with characters dealing with issues that we just don't see.

Happy Reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment