Thursday, March 21, 2013

Book #13 of 2013... DONE!





I know that I say that every book is GREAT... I wouldn't blog on here about a not-good-book!


But, last night I finished my 13th book of 2013 and it was GREAT.  I was literally cheering for the main character at the end, my heart was racing, and I could not wait to know how it would end for him.

The book Fat Kid Rules the World is by K.L. Going.  It's a coming of age story told by Troy, a 296 lb. teenager who struggles so much with his weight and self-image.  It's really well done and reminds me a lot of anything and everything by John Green.  If you liked Will Grayson, Will Grayson, you'll like this one too.

These books always speak to me as a teacher about the importance of teaching our students to be kind!  And even though you don't see Troy being bullied or anything like that in the book, he talks about how it's happened in such a straight forward and accepting way... it makes a girl's heart sad!

Troy's struggles with his weight and self-image are so real and true... things we all (at least, me!) think from time to time.  And then there's Curt... the homeless, druggie, unreliable, amazing guitar player who literally saves Troy's life and is a major player in the book too.

Anyway, this book had me laughing and crying and sympathizing and empathizing all at the same time.  It was a great read!  I hope you'll check it out!

:)
Christina


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I just discovered this blog today. Where have I been? I'm a follower now. I'd love to be a contributor, too, if you are accepting newbies. :)

    Wendy
    Read With Me ABC

    ReplyDelete